Birth Injury Lawyers
Medical negligence during child birth and pregnancy can have debilitating and tragic effects on both parents and their newborn baby. Even minor misjudgments or errors by health care professionals can cause life-long developmental consequences. While children are born in hospitals every day without incident, the possibility of immeasurable injury from a medical mistake is very real.
If a loved one in your family was injured during birth, you may be facing a lifetime of uncertainty and costly medical bills
Injury and trauma as a result of a doctor or nurse’s negligence during labor or pregnancy can include cerebral palsy, seizures, bone fractures, brain damage, subconjunctivial hemorrhage, brachial plexus palsy, facial paralysis, spinal cord injury, epilepsy and even death. In many cases, these injuries could have been prevented with proper, experienced and competent medical care.
Medical negligence can occur at any step of the delivery process. Some of the most serious medical errors and injuries include:
- Umbilical cord complications, including oxygen deprivation (cerebral hypoxia) leading to cerebral palsy and other significant neurological injury
- Blood supply interference
- Failure to properly use a fetal heart monitor
- Forceps injury during delivery
- Vacuum extraction of large infants for first-time mothers
- Failure to recognize newborn distress
- Delayed cesarean section (C-section) or C-section complications
- Breech delivery complications
- Placenta abruption
- Improper diagnosis or failure to treat the mother’s high blood pressure (preeclampsia)
- Improper drugs prescribed during pregnancy
- Pulling or stretching of baby’s shoulder during delivery causing brachial plexus.
The effect of birth trauma and injury can be immediate and permanent. Significant medical bills, specialized medical care for the injured child, and debilitating developmental defects are life-long stresses for the parents and the child. Because a birth injury is financially and emotionally exhausting, an experienced attorney is an invaluable resource for parents in need.
If you or a loved one has been the victim of birth related medical malpractice, you may be entitled to damages including medical expenses, lost wages and other compensation. The statute of limitations may be running on your medical malpractice claim, so time is of the essence.